Mendeley is another free citation management tool. It includes an online version, desktop version, and MS Word plugin for direct citations.
To get started with Mendeley, use the following steps:
1. Go to mendeley.com and Create a free account using the button on the homepage.
2. Download the appropriate version of the Mendeley app using the links on the homepage for your operating system. Follow the instructions to install the app on your computer.
3. Open the Mendeley app and sign in with the e-mail and password you created above.
4. Setup the Web Importer by clicking on Tools and selecting "Install Web Importer." This opens a Mendeley page in your default web browser. Follow the instructions to drag the "Save to Mendeley" toolbar to your Bookmarks Toolbar.
5. To setup the MS Word plugin, go back to the Mendeley app. Click on Tools and select "Install MS Word Plugin". NOTE: MS Word should be closed when you do this.
6. Start using Mendeley!