NOAA Education hosts a website with information about scholarships, internships, fellowships, and career development opportunities for high school students through post-doctoral: https://www.noaa.gov/students
● Educational Partnership Program with Minority Serving Institutions: Works to
increase the number of students from underrepresented communities, who are
educated, trained and graduated in fields that directly support NOAA's mission.
Opportunities are available at the undergraduate and graduate levels:
● Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship: Increases undergraduate training in
oceanic and atmospheric science, research, technology, and education and fosters
multidisciplinary training opportunities while inviting recruitment and preparation of
students for public service careers with NOAA:
● William M. Lapenta NOAA Student Internship Program: Targets current undergraduate and graduate students to work in areas that will meet future needs of the ever-broadening user community and address strategic climate-water-weather issues. Each student will collaborate with one or more scientists in the agency.
● Pathways Program: Eligible undergraduate interns may be converted to a permanent federal position within a defined timeframe upon successful completion of the program that combines education and work experience: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/unique-hiring-paths/students/
● Chesapeake Bay Internships: Bay-related undergraduate and graduate-level internships include opportunities with NOAA as well as collaborative organizations. Experiences include fisheries sampling, data collection and analysis, habitat restoration, GIS skills, and community outreach. Most internships are offered during the summer months, but some may be available at other times of the year:
● NOAA Ocean Exploration Explorer-in-Training Program: Open to undergraduate and graduate students and recent graduates and provides the opportunity participate in ocean exploration expeditions and/or projects: https://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/okeanos/training.html
● Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program: Provides support for outstanding scholarship
and encourages independent graduate-level research in oceanography, marine
biology, or maritime archaeology - particularly by women and members of minority
● John A. Knauss Marine Policy Fellowship: Provides a unique educational experience
to graduate students having an interest in ocean, coastal and Great Lakes resources
and in national policy decisions affecting those resources:
● National Marine Fisheries Service/Sea Grant Joint Graduate Fellowship Program in
Population Dynamics and Marine Resource Economics: Fellowship for Ph.D.
candidates who are interested in either of these two disciplines:
● Office of Coastal Management Fellowship: Provides on-the-job education and
training opportunities in coastal resource management and policy for postgraduate
students through project assistance to state coastal zone management programs.
● NOAA Climate & Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship: Appointed fellows are hosted by a mentoring scientist to become the next generation of researchers for climate studies: https://cpaess.ucar.edu/cgc
Opportunities from NOAA partner organizations
● American Fisheries Society Hutton Scholarship summer mentoring program for high school students underrepresented in fisheries science and management: https://hutton.fisheries.org/
● American Meteorological Society scholarships and fellowships:
https://www.ametsoc.org/index.cfm/ams/information-for/students/ams-scholarships-and-fellowships/ ● National Weather Association scholarships and grants: https://nwas.org/scholarship-grants/
● Virtual Student Federal Service internship program for undergraduate and graduate students: https://vsfs.state.gov/ Updated October 2020
Explore NOAA careers NOAA Education career resources: https://www.noaa.gov/education/career-resources
Interested in a marine science career? Learn about the wide range of marine careers and
people working in those fields.
● OceanAGE Careers: https://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/edu/oceanage/welcome.html
● Sea Grant Guide to Ocean Opportunities: https://www.marinecareers.net
Interested in a career as a meteorologist or hydrologist?
You will need a college degree in meteorology, atmospheric sciences or a related science.
Course work includes calculus and differential equations, physics, chemistry, remote
sensing, computer sciences, and hydrology.
● Careers in the National Weather Service: https://www.weather.gov/jetstream/careers
● American Meteorological Society:
Most NOAA federal positions are filled through USAJobs. Search for NOAA jobs at: https://www.usajobs.gov using keyword “NOAA.”
Learn how to search for jobs and complete the federal hiring process at the Office of Personnel Management’s help center: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help
NOAA Corps and civilian positions
NOAA Commissioned Officer Corps, a uniformed service:
NOAA civilian vessel jobs: https://www.omao.noaa.gov/explore/audiences/wage-mariner
Contract opportunities at NOAA
In addition to federal positions, NOAA uses contract employees hired by companies awarded periodic contracts. Different types of contractor duties support the NOAA mission, including scientists, administrators, IT and communications specialists. To find these positions use “NOAA” as a keyword in your job search. A partial list of companies currently filling contract positions:
● BAE Systems: https://jobs.baesystems.com/global/en ● CollabraLink: https://www.collabralink.com/jobs/ ● Consolidated Safety Services:
● Earth Resources Technology:
● ECS: https://ecstech.com/careers/
● Federal Working Group: http://federalworking.com/careers/ ● I.M. Systems Group: https://imsg.com/index.php/careers/ ● Innovim: https://innovim.com/careers/
● Integrated Systems Solutions:
Career resources from partner organizations
● Lynker Technologies: https://www.lynker.com/careers/ ● Maximus Federal: https://www.maximus.com/careers ● M2 Strategy:
https://www.m2strategy.com/join-m2/opportunities/ ● Quantum Spatial:
https://quantumspatial.com/about-us/our-team ● SAIC Systems: https://jobs.saic.com
http://www.techglobalinc.com/join-us/openings/ ● Tetra Tech: https://www.tetratech.com/careers ● The Baldwin Group: https://www.tbgva.com/careers ● Versar: https://www.versar.com/job-opportunities.html
● National Marine Sanctuary Foundation jobs and internships: https://marinesanctuary.org/jobs-and-internships/ ● Sea Grant careers: https://seagrant.noaa.gov/Careers